Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Magical World of Sleep!

I am not one to usually take naps for several different reasons: One, I usually can never fall asleep. Two, if I do fall asleep it takes forever (usually leaving me with very little time to sleep). Three, I don't sleep very deeply which doesn't allow my body to obtain any rest, but sometimes making me more tired than when I started. And four, I'd rather force myself to stay awake and do things and then go to bed early getting as many hours of sleep before midnight as possible (because your body counts them as two hours of rest).

But after having just woken up from a real nap that lasted several hours I have realized again what a wonderful world of sleep is! It is especially therapeutic when you have cramps, your muscles are sore and tender, the weather is too cold, windy, and rainy to do what you want outside, and when your heart is heavy in sorrow. Now, sleeping is not the solution to all of these things, but when you are asleep your mind is taken to a different world where it allows you to escape from the physical pain and heaviness of the heart. When you awake you again pick up those feelings from where you left off, but they seem a bit lighter and you have a little more strength and energy to begin carrying the load again.

This world that I just came back from was especially good because it was a world where I was able to see and be with some of the people who I love and miss greatly in my life. I think there are several reasons why we dream. One the reasons I think we have dreams is to know of the tender mercies of the Lord in our lives - to know that He knows who we are, what we're going through, and what we need. He is always apart of the details in our lives, we just need to look and recognize them.

I am so grateful for a Father in Heaven who really knows who His daughter Rachel Gillmore is.

No comments: