I began with five itty-bitty caterpillars, but only two have survived. Ironic. The caterpillar that was the first to wrap herself in the cocoon and hang from the top of the cup was the first to go. She didn't securing fasten herself to the top and ended up falling and due to the moisture that was on the bottom of the cup her cocoon became wet and soft, instead of a hard and protective cocoon. The next three successfully attached themselves to the top of the cup securly. The fourth didn't quite make it to the top of the cup, but secured herself to the side of the cup. By doing this I had to pull her off the side of the cup and place her on the floor of the tank. There still was a possibility that she would emerge and become a beautiful butterfly like the rest.
The three caterpillars that had attached themselves to the cloth at the top of the cup all emerged beautifully one right after the other, just hours apart. Although, I think one of them had trouble getting one of her wings completely out of the cocoon. She ended up with a bent wing which disabled her to fly. Only after one week of life, she too has gone the way of the earth.
The caterpillar that attached herself to the side of the cup and ended up being layed on a tupperware lid on the bottom of the tank also had problems emerging from her cocoon. She was only able to make it out halfway. Upon discovering her it was too late for me to help. For some reason I left her in the tank. A few days later I went to take her out and discovered there was still life in her! I pulled her out of the tank and began butterfly surgery to try to get the rest of the cocoon off. I was successful but my hopes of her surviving were shattered when I found she too had gone the way of the earth the following day.
That has left me with two strong beautiful butterflies, as you will see in the pictures below. I have named them Lewi & Gilly. I have let them fly around my room on occassion. They both love to hang out by the window next to my bed and look out at the vast world in front of them. I think they both love the adventures the world has to offer them!
Another great shot of Lewi! She is very photogenic for she embodies beauty. I happened to capture the picture of Christ in the background on accident which I think is very fitting.
4 comments:
*sniff *sniff :'(, THEY are Amaranthine!
Post a Comment