It's hard to believe that it has almost been a year since I broke my tailbone mountain biking. I am still reminded of that experience whenever I sit for a long period of time because the pain will come back, but a lot of healing has taken place over the past year, which I am grateful for!
An old trail walker buddy of mine, Krissy, has recently become my new room roommate. She happens to enjoy mountain biking too. In fact, I took her on her first mountain biking adventure in Arizona - the ride before I broke my tailbone. Anyway, she is training for a mountain biking adventure in North Dakota later this month and invited me to go on a trail her co-worker told her about located by HI-C. Not hitting any trails myself this past summer I decided it was past time for me to get on my mountain bike again.
The drive out there took a lot longer than expected but the real surprise came when we hit the trail. The first mile or so was great terrain - not too difficult, not too easy. But we soon found ourselves walking our bikes more than we were riding them. The trail was littered with medium to large size boulders and the dirt was soft and light which caused our tires to spin out in our attempts to bike up the steep hills. These two factors were the reasons why we spent the last mile hiking our bikes rather than riding them. We both concluded that this trail was more advanced than where our skill level was and that we would be returning when our skills were more developed.
But we both experienced something new that neither one of us had experienced mountain biking before. The trail we biked followed a canyon that had a stream that flows into the Snake River. The biking trail crossed this stream a number of times and so Krissy and I had the opportunity to bike through it. It was SO fun!
Krissy was leading the bike ride and she stopped at the first river crossing. When I caught up to her she said, "I don't know if we should ride through it." "Why not!?!" was my reply as I flew by her and splashed into the stream getting my Chaco shoes soaked and legs dripping with water. Next to riding all downhill back to the truck, the river crossings were our favorite part. Here are a few videos of our splashing adventure!
An old trail walker buddy of mine, Krissy, has recently become my new room roommate. She happens to enjoy mountain biking too. In fact, I took her on her first mountain biking adventure in Arizona - the ride before I broke my tailbone. Anyway, she is training for a mountain biking adventure in North Dakota later this month and invited me to go on a trail her co-worker told her about located by HI-C. Not hitting any trails myself this past summer I decided it was past time for me to get on my mountain bike again.
The drive out there took a lot longer than expected but the real surprise came when we hit the trail. The first mile or so was great terrain - not too difficult, not too easy. But we soon found ourselves walking our bikes more than we were riding them. The trail was littered with medium to large size boulders and the dirt was soft and light which caused our tires to spin out in our attempts to bike up the steep hills. These two factors were the reasons why we spent the last mile hiking our bikes rather than riding them. We both concluded that this trail was more advanced than where our skill level was and that we would be returning when our skills were more developed.
But we both experienced something new that neither one of us had experienced mountain biking before. The trail we biked followed a canyon that had a stream that flows into the Snake River. The biking trail crossed this stream a number of times and so Krissy and I had the opportunity to bike through it. It was SO fun!
Krissy was leading the bike ride and she stopped at the first river crossing. When I caught up to her she said, "I don't know if we should ride through it." "Why not!?!" was my reply as I flew by her and splashed into the stream getting my Chaco shoes soaked and legs dripping with water. Next to riding all downhill back to the truck, the river crossings were our favorite part. Here are a few videos of our splashing adventure!
Krissy's First River Crossing Attempt
My River Crossing Ride
(Sorry for the sideways video!)
(Sorry for the sideways video!)
Krissy's Redeemed River Crossing Ride
(Again, I apologize for the sideways video).

(Again, I apologize for the sideways video).
Still shot of Krissy crossing the river
Everything was SO gorgeous!
The clouds looked like desert sand in the sky with its ripples and waves
It was so good to get on my mountain bike again after a year of absence. Even though the terrain was a bit more advanced we still enjoyed the challenge, had some fun splashing in the water, and soaked in the beauty of nature!
No comments:
Post a Comment