Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Coming to Terms

I don't think it is rare to find somebody who doesn't have a good amount of state-pride in them. When people ask me where I am from I still claim Washington state, even though I haven't lived in Washington for six years now and my parents have moved to Texas. I love Washington - it's my teenage stomping grounds. And the beauty found in western Washington is priceless.

When I discovered that my Washington State Driver's License was expiring on my birthday I had to begin mentally preparing myself to get an Idaho Driver's License. And even through that mental preparation I still resisted going until a month after my license expired. I know - I'm a criminal. Well, I was until today. (Phew!).

In order for me receive an Idaho Driver's License I had to take a driving test. They gave me an Idaho Driver's Manual to study from, but I threw it aside thinking "driving is driving no matter what state you're in." When I went in to take the test today the first question that came up on the screen was, "In an 'open range' who has the right away?" After reading this question my first thought was, "Only in Idaho..." Maybe I should have read that manual. But I passed with flying colors and received my Idaho Driver's License. It's official.


Actually, I have come a long way since my first realization that I was coming to Idaho upon receiving my acceptance letter to BYU-Idaho. Idaho was the last place I wanted to go. But I wouldn't trade my education or experiences here for anything! And I am even beginning to come close to claiming Idaho as home.

OH! I am supposed to inform my family that I am an organ donor. So, for all you family members that read this I am informing you that I have chosen to be an organ donor in case I ever die in some kind of accident.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Love that WA pride - I haven't lived there either in 6 years and my family is now Californias, but I still love Washington!! Oh, and I would probably at least black out a few things on your driver's license in case any identity thefts come across your blog. It's a sad world we live in.