Following your dream is something that I have become a huge advocate of recently. No matter what age you are everybody has dreams, desires, and wishes of things they would like to do or accomplish, but so many of us just put them on the shelf and leave them at that - just dreams - often finding excuses to justify why it will remain only a dream. "If only this" ... "If only that" The list is endless.
As I have shared with others my dreams and the accomplishment of my dreams several people have asked me variations of this question, "Where do your dreams come from and how do you know how to reach them?" I have thought a lot about this question and I have found a few keys things that I believe are essential in answering that question. It is my attempt to share those things with you here.
About a year ago I listened to a motivational speaker who said something that has stuck with me. He said, "Brick walls are only there for a reason - they let us prove how badly we want things." I think it is safe to say that a lot of people don't see the whole picture when it comes to dreams. They only see the dream itself, but they miss the whole journey of getting to that dream, which is what makes reaching the dream worth it!
If I wanted to stand on the top of Mount Everest, I could pay for a helicopter ride up to the top or I could take the necessary steps needed to climb to the top. Sure, one is a lot easier and less time consuming than the other, but which one is more of an accomplishment and brings the most lasting satisfaction? This can be applied to almost every dream, desire, or wish we have because there will always be an easy way around it. I have found that it is the work, sweat, and time of the journey that brings the most learning, growth, and satisfaction of reaching my dreams.
It's a different experience when you feel the freedom of working hard to pay off your debts verses having them paid for you by somebody else. It is a different experience when you grow a garden and enjoy the fruits of your labor verses going to the grocery store and purchasing the food. It's a different experience when you push yourself beyond your capabilities and knowledge verses saying you can't do it without even trying. Everybody can reach their dreams. The question is, how bad do you really want it?
Believe In Yourself
This is one of the most, if not foremost, important keys to have in reaching your dreams. You don't even need a dream to believe in yourself. If you simply believe in yourself that you can accomplish something great - whatever it might be - in your eyes, then you're ready to begin the journey! There is a quote painted on my living room wall taken from the movie, 'Eygpt' that says, "There can be miracles when you believe."
Have A Purpose
I have found that if there is no purpose behind reaching your dream, it will most likely not happen. Having a purpose gives one the drive, motivation, and determination to reach their dream(s). For instance, when I ran the Teton Dam Half Marathon I didn't do it for the sake of doing it or for the bragging rights, but I had a personal purpose/cause that I ran those 13.2 miles. That cause got me to the finish line.
Stick With It & Never Lose Sight
The dream determines the amount of time needed to invest into it. No matter how long it might take to reach the dream one must be dedicated to every step of the way. Sometimes in this busy, crazy, and fast-paced world we tend to want or even expect our dreams to come true overnight. It doesn't happen like that. Remember, it was the turtle that won the race - not the hare.
We must never lose sight of the end goal or the dream. Currently I am getting into shape/training for a triathlon this coming summer. I have been working out Monday-Saturday for the past two weeks and see or feel little results from it. It can be discouraging but I have to keep the proper perspective and know that my body won't magically be changed to the state/condition I want it to be in. But thinking ahead a few months from now my body will be in a lot better condition than it is now if I keep working at it every day. Being in shape for the triathlon will definitely pay off in the end.
Don't Be Afraid
FEEL THE FEAR & DO IT ANYWAY! Achieving your dream(s) is challenging. We will question ourselves and wonder if we really want to go after that dream. Nothing worthwhile is easy. Fear takes away believing in yourself. The journey to our dreams will be filled with overcoming fears, the unknown, learning new things, opening new doors and opportunities, stretching our limits, and rising to the challenges before us. At times we will want to shrink away, make excuses, or throw the towel in all together. Don't do it. It's the challenges we face in our journey that allow us to blossom.
Work Hard
Your dreams don't have to be something big or outlandish. Start simple and let your dreams grow. Never let yourself slip into getting by the easy way. It's not worth it and you'll be disappointed. As said before, nothing worthwhile is easy. I think you'll be amazing by how much you will grow and how much more alive you become. You will begin to seek for challenges and be so much more open to trying new things all the time!
Now....

*Note: There are dreams out there that are not within reason or adhere to certain laws, boundaries, and limitations. I only refer to those dreams which are reasonable and achievable within the realms of unalterable laws, boundaries, and limitations in all aspects. (In other words, please don't go jump off a building in an attempt to fly).
1 comment:
Hey, thanks for the good advice! You are a great example of someone with a dream who makes it come true.
Love,
Sheree
Post a Comment