Friday, May 29, 2009

Downsizing & Decluttering

I inherited the pack-rat disease from my father. It's a disease that takes up every inch of your closet, bedroom, box, storage space, and nook and cranny of the house (and anywhere else it can squeeze in). It even spreads itself abroad to different locations. My disease currently stretches from Idaho to Texas. I was finally able to take Arizona out of the picture - thanks to Julius and Adria. The great thing about this disease (if there is such a thing) is that it is pretty manageable and easy to control for the most part. It when I try to rid myself of this disease that all chaos breaks loose and it really becomes uncontrollable - things are everywhere and the piles never seem to get smaller or disappear. I guess that is why pack-rat disease is very hard to rid myself of because it's so much easier to have it!

Several weeks ago I came to the conclusion, for one reason or another, that I needed to downsize and declutter. There are a lot of things that I have that I don't need or use and could go without. I haven't managed to climb down into the crawl space and go through the many bins of things I have down there yet, but I have done a few things so far. One is selling the school books I have (that won't be bought back from BYU-Idaho) online. I haven't sold as nearly as much as I would have liked or thought I would have, but slowly but surely one by one they are disappearing off my shelf.

I just sold my Lov Sac today. :(... I have wanted a lov sac for a really long time before I was able to purchase one for my bedroom as part of my fantasy room. But desperate times call for desperate measures. I loved my Lov Sac but it's not a necessity and is something that I can do without until I have really established my roots in a home somewhere and am more financially secure. As I sit on the floor in my bedroom where its home once was I know it will be missed.


Now all I need is the motivation to go into the crawl space and sort through the things down there to see what else is sale-able or DI worthy. I will even be joining my old roommate in a garage sale in a week or two. Someone else's junk is another person's treasure!

No comments: