Thursday, May 28, 2009

Mesa Falls: Up Close and Personal

If you'll remember with me when I went to Mesa Falls in September of 2009 and the view of the Lower Mesa Falls was a long ways down. The Upper Falls is more up close and personal due to the boardwalk that was built, but I always left craving for more. I wanted to be closer to the falls - to be next to the Lower Falls and at the base of the Upper Falls somehow. From up high I could see a path near the Lower Falls but I never could figure out how to gain access to it or if it was even open to the public.

I learned from a friend the directions to hike down to the Lower Falls on an old dirt road beginning from the Upper Falls - Mesa Falls best kept secret. Jumping at the chance to experience Mesa Falls up close and personal my friend, Carrie and I didn't waste any time checking it out.


Before making it to the main parking lot of the Upper Mesa Falls the road forks, taking the left fork the pavement turns into gravel and then you come upon a dirt road on the left that has a closed gate blocking the road. This is the trail head. (I believe there is a wooden sign directly across the dirt road that says
Lower Falls. (Tip: I parked off to the side of the road near the trail head so I didn't have to pay for parking). The hike from the Upper Falls to the Lower Falls is a 20 minute jaunt of beautiful pine and aspen tree mixture, fluttering Pink Lady butterflies, and the sound of the flowing river nearby. The end of the trail spits you out just above the Lower Mesa Falls. Let the adventures begin!


At the end of the dirt road looking down on the Lower Mesa Falls.

A little rock cove we discovered as we rocked climbed our way down to the Lower Falls. After scrambling down it looked like there was a trail already created to the lower left at the end of the dirt road. I'd recommend going that way - much easier and safer.

Carrie rejoicing after she overcame her fear of climbing halfway down this rocky route.

The rock that I am sitting on is not connected to any of the other surrounding rocks until about 15 feet down. Adrenaline surged through my body as I carefully made my way onto it. The base of the falls was about 40 feet below me.

ABSOLUTE PURE BLISS & SERENITY!
Every now and then a gut of mist from the waterfall would spray upwards and engulf me.
No words to describe it.

The view of the Lower Mesa Falls from the rock outcropping I was sitting on.

Carrie braved the scary step onto the rock outcropping and joined me.

Carrie soaking in the moment and the peaceful roar of the falls.

Another view of the Lower Falls as we followed a trail around to get even closer.

Sitting as close to the top of the falls as one could possibly sit!
Up close and personal

Looking upstream from the picture above were these mini falls. We enjoyed our lunch sitting in this area surrounded by the falls. Heaven!

After walking upstream a ways along a trail we made it back down to the riverside on a small land outcropping to enjoy the cool rushing water of the river.

We then hiked another 1 - 2 miles upstream that was almost all boulder hopping we came upon this small area of paradise. It literally felt like we were in Hawaii or somewhere like it. This three tier waterfall runoff/spring is another best kept secret of Mesa Falls. So peaceful!

Playing around in the many small waterfalls and enjoying the
cool splash of water on a warm summer's day.

Carrie taking a refreshing drink of the water. It tasted so good!

Upper Mesa Falls!!
It was somewhat difficult journey to make it here
from the Lower Mesa Falls but every step was worth being so close!
Again, no words to describe it. You have to experience it yourself.

It was tempting to try to make it closer
to the waterfall than this rock, but we didn't dare try.

We found a surprisingly easy way to make it up from the base of the Upper Mesa Falls to the boardwalk where the viewing of the top of Mesa Falls is most commonly seen. It wouldn't be that hard to go from the top down either if one wanted to hike from the
Upper Mesa Falls to the Lower Mesa Falls. ;o)

The journey down to the Lower Mesa Falls, being next to the falls, following the river, and then making it up to the Upper Mesa Falls - with a small piece of paradise along the way - was an incredible experience! I still hold previous memories of Mesa Falls with dear and close friends near to my heart; this experience just added to those memories and has made Mesa Falls an even more special and memorable place for me. I wish I could take others close to me there, but hope that either through my experience or even their own experience there they too can enjoy Mesa Falls as much as possible.

View more Mesa Falls: Up Close and Personal pictures on my Photobucket. There is even a video of the Lower Mesa Falls

No comments: