Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Closest I've Come

I hesitate writing this post in concern for those out there who are playing with the idea of donating plasma or blood. I don't want to scare them. So, I add a disclaimer to this post. In my many, many, many times of donating plasma, situations - that you will soon read about - of the like have only happened a hand full of times.

Read on.

Each time I plan on donating plasma I take the proper measures beforehand in order to be accepted to donate. That includes drinking enough water and eating the right kinds of food to have enough protein in my system as well as to produce good, useful plasma. There are occasions where I have been declined to donate because I haven't had enough water to drink. There was even one instance where they declined me because I was too hydrated! Imagine that. Anyway, I took the proper measures before going into donate this afternoon. Drank plenty of water (but not too much) and ate a good meal before going. I was accepted!

I always have a little bit of fear, nervousness, or anxiety (take your pick) when my name is called to start the whole process of donating after I've gone through the screening process. This fear, nervousness, or anxiety comes because the person who has the needle only has one chance with me to get it in my arm right, without fishing around for my vein, or I start to get nauseous, lose color in my face, go lightheaded, and start to sweat - in other words, start to pass out.

Today's experience was a little different than the ones I've had in the past where they failed to make contact with my vein on their first attempt. The guy who stuck me got the needle into my vein but how ever he did it was very painful (I don't watch when they stab me). I knew that something wasn't right, but everything ran just fine as the machine began sucking the blood out of me, even though I was still in pain. I tried to brush my anxiety away telling myself that the pain will go away and everything will run smoothly.

I was able to do that as I got caught up in the novel I had brought with me to read. The pain eventually did fade for the most part after a cycle or two had passed. Once I thought I was in the clear I began feeling quite uncomfortable again. I could feel my vein begin to pulse back and forth in my where the arm cuff was inflated tightly around my upper arm. It felt like the ticking of a second-hand on a clock - tick...tick...tick. I did my best to remain calm, but when my whole arm quickly went from a tingling sensation to numbness and I began to feel the onset of nauseousness set in I knew I was in trouble.

Luckily, rather a tender mercy and blessing, there was an phlebotomist chatting with the girl in the bed next to me. I quickly got her attention. As soon as she looked at me she knew something was wrong because my face had gone completely white. The nauseating feeling got worse by the second. First light headedness, to feeling like I was going to throw up, then to a quick rise in my temperature causing me to sweat all over, and then to a tingling sensation in both my arms, legs, and lips. They quickly put a trash can next to me in case I lost the tasty sandwich I had before going into the plasma center. (I plead that I wouldn't!). Then they stopped the machine from drawing blood and started putting blood back into my body. In the process of blood returning to my body, which felt like an eternity, I did my best to deal with my body's reaction. I closed my eyes in an attempt to stop the dizziness and nauseating feeling, but was told I needed to keep them open so they could tell if I fainted. When I opened my eyes I soon found that the room was getting darker and my hearing was fading. I had never experienced this before. Finding it quite alarming I informed the now two phlebotomists that were at my side of my condition. The girl kindly informed me that that is what happens right before you are about to pass out or faint. WHAT!?! The girl quickly turned the speed up on the machine in order to return the blood back to my body faster, while the other phlebotomist put an ice pack under my neck. That ice pack was so blessed!

Slowly but surely and one at a time the symptoms began to disappear. The tingling in my lips, arms, and legs diminished, my temperature began to decrease with aid from the ice pack, color returned to my face, and ever so slowly the nauseating feeling reduced to only a slight lingering. I was so grateful I didn't faint! But that was by far the closest I have ever come to fainting.

When I felt well enough and after drinking 8oz. of water they started the machine up again to finish the last one and a half cycles I had left. Despite the lingering nauseous feeling the rest of the donating process went smoothly. When finished I took my time to stand up and slowly walk to the waiting area to get paid. While waiting to get paid I watched others who were donating nearby. As my eyes crossed over one of the exit doors it swung open and I saw a group of phlebotomist huddled together. Before the door closed I saw through the spaces between their legs somebody lying on the floor. It was quickly apparent that this person had fainted. I walked through those doors to exit and sure enough a girl who had donated for her first time had fainted and was being cared for. As I passed the room she was in and peered in I could tell she was scared as she wiped tears from her eyes. I was grateful that I wasn't her and then I said of prayer for her as I continued to carefully exit the building.


After arriving home I made sure to replenish my body of water and nutrience, but the lingering nauseous feeling continued to stay with me. I could really feel the weakness in my body when only after being at work for an hour I was exhausted and dragging my feet. Continuing to drink lots of water I eventually was reengergized and back to my normal self. What a great feeling that is!

Now even though this is a very descriptive account of what happened to me the worst of it only lasted a short amount of time. I am ok. I didn't die. I hope I didn't scare any of you off!

1 comment:

Matt, Julee, Carlee, Danilyn and Peter said...

I am soooo glad that I no longer sell my body. Looking back I don't know if it was worth it.