A friend of Jessica's and mine bought a new-used car this weekend and invited us to take a spin in it this evening with her. After she picked us up we listened intently as she told us about and showed us all the different features her new silver Pontiac came with. One of the things that she was looking for in a new car was a big engine. Upon hearing this I then asked...
"So, how fast can your car go from 0 to 60?"
With that we drove up to the farm fields on the outskirts of Rexburg to test it out. She clocked it at 11 seconds. Now, this car ain't no sports car, but 11 seconds is pretty decent for a V6 engine. (I'm excited to see what my truck with a V8 engine can clock in at).
We continued to drive on the farm roads enjoying the cool air, wide open potato fields that surrounded us, and the bright orange and pink sky as the sun was setting behind the mountains in the distance. The roads that we were driving on were some of the same roads that I have taken during bike rides last summer. Being on these roads again for the first time this summer brought back so many good memories and a sense of freedom due to the rolling farm fields that went on as far as the eye could see. My desire to get out of the car and run through these fields with arms spread wide open and my head tilted back towards the sky was almost more than I could take. I felt trapped inside the car. No offense to the car or to the owner, but Mother Earth was calling out to me.
In response to the call of Mother Earth I unbuckled my seat belt, rolled down the window, crawled halfway out the window, and sat on the window seal. I spread my arms wide open and let the cool air rush pass me and through my hair as it blew in the wind. There was a peace and calmness that I soaked in. I breathed deep and could smell the water from the farm sprinklers in the air. I felt free.
On the side of the road there was a 15-20ft high and 50ft. long stack of straw bails. I yelled the suggestion that we should stop and climb up on the straw bails. And too my surprise they took me serious! We stopped and the three of us climbed to the top of the straw bails. The skirt I was still wearing didn't stop my sense of adventure, but was grateful that I was wearing my spandex shorts underneath. We climbed to the top and walked across dodging the cravases that we could possibly fall in. We didn't stay up there to my heart's content - I would have loved to sit and watch the sun go down from up there - but we climbed down and continued on our way.
We next came upon a grouping of silos with several catwalks on top. Of course, the first idea that comes to my mind is to climb them. But without any surprise from the decline of my suggestion to climb them, I was still a little disappointed as my imagination began to envision the thrill of my sidekick and I climbing up to the top of those silos. Maybe someday I thought...
We watched the sun go down as we made the rest of the drive home. It was fun to take a nice Sunday drive in our friend's nice new car as well as enjoy the beauty of the surrounding area while reminicing in my mind on past experiences on those country farm roads. I decided before the summer is gone to again bike those roads, as well as explore some new roads. I'm hoping to find some corn fields to run through too. Maybe that will be my next adventure....
Iris, Iris, and More Iris!!!
18 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment