Saturday, July 26, 2008

Opposition in all Things, but Great shall be your Reward


The sky was filled with these big, beautiful clouds yesterday! I'd have to say these are probably my favorite types of clouds and so I had to snap a few pictures of them and share one of them!

Ok....onto the post...

The first thing that probably comes to your mind upon reading the title of this post is that it has something to do with trial(s). And although I could spend a lot of time discussing the opposition in trials, I am going to relate it to biking instead.

I don't know where I got the idea, but it has been floating around in this head of mine for some time. And seeing that beginning next weekend I won't have much of any weekends after that because of my 7pm-7am shift starting at the Homestead I decided that today was the day to finally make this idea a reality. My idea....

....Biking from Rexburg to Ammon/Idaho Falls and back.

Using MapMyRun I figured out the route and distance from my house in Rexburg, ID to McCowin Park in Ammon, ID. It calculated out to be a tad over 28 miles one way. I have gone on several 20-22 miles bike rides before and didn't think a few extra would make a huge difference. And with a nice little break in the middle I'd be ready to ride those 28 miles back home. I guesstimated that it would take about 2 hours - give or take - to ride the 28 miles with an average speed between 16-18 mph. There is about a 1000ft. drop in elevation between my beginning and ending point, which didn't phase me because 1000ft. elevation drop in a span of 28 miles is nothing.

To view a map of the route I biked in order to get a better idea as you read of my experience, click here.

I woke up this morning and began making preparations for the ride. I wanted to be off between 8:30am and 9:00am, but didn't hit the road until 10:05am this morning. I rode out of Parkside Townhomes and took a right onto Pioneer Rd. when a wall of strong wind hit me. I began to second guess my decision to make this ride with 10-15 mph head winds. "I just begun! I not going to give up already!" I thought to myself. (Yes, that would be my pride kicking in, although I like to see it as determination :o). I convinced myself that the winds would die down as the day progressed. I continued to pedal.

For the most part I followed Yellowstone HWY, which paralled HWY 20. There were two occassions in which Yellowstone HWY ended, but picked up again, causing me to either go on a few side roads or ride on HWY 20 in order to get back on. But it was a pretty straight forward route and an almost straight shot from Rexburg to Ammon.

The ride was going great, despite the head wind, and I felt like I was making good time by judging from where I was by landmarks I was very familiar with off HWY 20. Shortly after mile 5 the Yellowstone HWY ended and I had to make a 2-3 miles detour before getting back on. When I turned onto S 3100 W - a residential road - I could see up ahead a full grown black lab in the road. Not knowing what to expect from this dog I got into racing position. As I neared the dog it began barking. Then as I began to pass him, he gave a deep growl and the chase was on! He was right on my tail but I picked up speed quickly and out ran him. Turning back and seeing him struggling to keep up I yelled, "EAT MY DUST! HA HA HA!!"

Turning and looking ahead down the road with a smile of victory on my face I noticed another dog in the road, but this dog was even bigger than the black lab I had just left in my dust. This dog had brains - or so I thought. He seemed to have good tactic by hiding himself from me in the bushes waiting for the right moment to run out and chase me. I was ready for him though. Sure enough, as I came upon him he darted out from his hiding place, but stopped at the edge of his yard which came to the edge of the road. He looked left, he looked right, and then left again. As he turned back to look at me and saw I was already way down the road he made no effort to chase me. I was pretty grateful his owners had taught him to look both ways before entering the street.

I continued on and soon discovered a third dog down the road a ways watching me approach. "Holy Dog Heaven!" I thought to myself. This dog was about the same size as the black lab and had a wolf look to him. But luckily for me he just trotted up to me and greeted me as I passed. There was no chasing involved. I was glad because I was pretty tired from my previous two bike sprints. There was a fourth dog, but he was just a little black dog with a high-pitched bark who thought he was a big-tough dog. He didn't make it halfway across his front yard before I was out of sight. By the time I got to the end of the road I was a little tired and decided to take a quick break.


At the corner of that street (S 3100 W & River Bridge Rd) there were several large patches of the above pictured flower. I have seen these kinds of flowers dotted throughout Rexburg over the last couple weeks. It's been the first time I have ever seen these flowers and have had a desire to stop, smell, and study them. My opportunity to do so had just presented itself to me as I took a break at the corner. They don't have a strong frangrance, but they are beautiful nonetheless. I enjoyed the time I took to stop and smell the flowers.

When I came to the end of River Bridge Rd. I was at the edge of HWY 20. There was no other way to get back onto Yellowstone HWY except to get on the freeway. Since I had already had one experience biking on the freeway a week ago I wasn't scared or intimidated to do it again. The only thing that concerned me was the gravel on the shoulder of the HWY. Road bikes + Gravel = Blowout. Luckily it was only a half mile ride. I made it safely without any blowouts.

For the next 10 miles or so, passing through Rigby on the way, the wind was really strong and really tough to bike against. I dropped in speed quite a bit in these miles because of the wind, causing me to fall behind in time. The wind was strong in prior miles, but it seemed increasingly stronger in this section. If you'ved ever gone running outside in the dead of winter and had your lungs hurt because of it - this is what happened and felt like to me because I was sucking in so much air into my lungs from the wind. I began feeling sick and my energy level dropped. My back and arm were aching and I was really feeling how saddle sore I was becoming. Everything in combination didn't make for a super happy experience, but I signed myself up for the challenge and tried to have the best attitude I could.

In several different previous experiences I've had where the wind has been a struggle to be in I have prayed for it to calm and those prayers were always answered. I began praying that the Lord would calm the wind, but if not that He'd give me the strength to contine biking against it. It didn't seemed like either thing happened. After praying for several miles and seeing no difference I finally said out loud, "C'mon Heavenly Father! You've answered my prayers before, why not now!?!" Then I looked up to see if there were any lightening clouds above me. The wind didn't stop blowing really hard and I didn't seem to feel any stronger and so I just continued to bike against it, but this thought came into my mind, "Opposition in all things; great shall be your reward." I quickly agreed with the first statement and then took a minute to ponder upon the second statement. "Great shall be your reward...My reward? Finishing - making it back home? What's my reward.....?"

I looked over to HWY 20 and saw exit sign 318. Only three more miles until exit 315, where the city of Ucon sat and where there was a gas station I could stop at and rest. After a little bit more biking I looked over again at the HWY and saw exit sign 318. I thought I was having day-ja-voo or something, but realized that the previous sign said exit 318 - 1 mile. I gave a sigh of despair. I was so tired and felt so sick. I wasn't sure I wanted to make it all the way to McCowin Park, but instead turn around and head back after reaching the gas station in Ucon. After thinking and debating in my head for a while I looked over again at HWY 20 and saw the off-ramp to exit 315. With much surprise I gave a loud, "WOOHOO!" I was almost there. Ucon was mile 20.

I passed through the town of Ucon, which felt like a ghost town, and pulled into the Tosoro gas station at the far edge of town. I took a seat on the foot high cement wall and put my head in between my knees as I chugged down some water from my Camelpak. In the 20 minutes that I was there my sickness level went up and down. At times I felt better and then in an instant I would feel sick again. I mixed some energy powder into my water and sipped on it for a little bit. The debate in my head continued as to whether I wanted to go on or not based on how I felt. When I looked at it logistically it didn't take me long to make a decision. I had come 20 miles already. There was 8 miles left. I wasn't going to give up and turn around and go back after going so far and having so little left to go. With that, I jumped on my bike and hit the road again.

The energy mix must have kicked in because I felt like I was having a fresh start. I felt like I had more energy and the wind didn't seem to be as strong as it had been. The last 8 miles went great! It helped to know from driving that section of road so many times before what was ahead, what to expect, and also how much further I had to go visually instead of by miles on my odometer. Those 8 miles went by faster than I had expected, which was a pleasant surprise.

I stopped at the Wal-Greens on the corner of 17th & Ammon Rd. to grab something to eat before making the last 100 yards to McCowin Park. The park was such a pleasant place to be. The large park offered many quiet spots as well as big trees with a cool shade to rest under. I rested my bike up against the tree, then stretched myself out on the cool green grass and let my body relax. I just laid there and took everything in! I had made it to my destination and it felt so wonderful to be there! I munched on the granola bars I got and sipped on my water, but mostly just laid out and relaxed.

It took me three hours to make it to McCowin Park. One hour longer than I had expected because of the wind, but being there seemed to wash away the frustrations and struggle I had with the wind. What I was feeling as I was sprawled out on the grass under a big tree was worth the struggle; was worth the opposition.

I rested for a little more than an hour before getting ready to go. I could have stayed there all day. I geared up again and then hit the road. I again stopped at Wal-Greens on my way out of town to hit up their restroom. After that I was ready to make the 28 mile bike ride back home.

After making it to more rural roads that had very low traffic I began to ride with no hands. This really helped with the ache I felt in my back and arms. It also helped transfer the pressure from the bike seat to a different area. Just by sitting up and riding with no hands I noticed that it worked different muscles in my legs as well. I was glad to discover all the benefits of riding with no hands. It made the ride home great! My average speed on the way home was between 16-18 mph instead of 9-11 mph on the way to Ammon. I almost doubled my speed.

This is when I realized what the great reward was. Tail wind! You don't find it very often in Idaho. I can count the number of times I've had tail wind since living in Idaho on two of my fingers. Yes, that is two times. Usually no matter which direction you are going you always have a head wind. Having a tail wind was so awesome! Whenever I didn't have a tail wind (when biking east or west on side streets) there was a definate difference and my speed always dropped a little bit. I was very grateful for a tail wind. It was a GREAT reward!

All four dogs had gone home for the evening and so I didn't have anymore dog chases. Once I reached the end of that street though, before turning left and winding my way back on Yellowstone HWY, I stopped and took in the view ahead of me. I had a great view of the Rexburg temple, which sits on the hill. I was tempted to turn right instead and see if I could make my way up to the temple, but decided against it. It was nice to just stand there and see the temple on top of the hill. I look forward to the day when I will be able to go through the temple.

I made it home in under two hours! I was cruising! It was really exciting to be able to make it home and reach my goal of biking from Rexburg to Ammon/Idaho Falls and back. It is always an exciting feeling to accomplish something that you have wanted to do for a long time. It gives me the excitement to challenge myself to something else!

What's next....?

No comments: