Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Cause from the Heart


Preparation for the Teton Dam Half Marathon began in February. Running in and finishing a half marathon has been a goal that I have anticipated and hoped to accomplish for a long time. It has taken a lot of dedication and sacrifice in order for this goal to become a reality. But as I told a friend today after the race, "You'll do anything when the cause comes from the heart." My personal cause gave and kept me motivated, determined, and dedicated to crossing the finish line.

After loading up on a high-carb dinner at Craigo's, Rexburg's pizza joint, and getting everything situated and ready for my morning preparations, I laid down to go to sleep just before midnight. My mind was racing with hundreds of different possibilities of how the day would go and the hopes that I had for myself. Needless to say that I didn't sleep very well because of how fast my mind was racing and how increasingly nervous I was becoming.

5:00AM came way to fast, but my alarm tune brought comfort, peace of mind, and a reminder of the cause I was running for. I jumped out of bed and headed downstairs for a breakfast of Cream of Wheat and a large cup of water. The last few bites of breakfast brought a feeling of nausea, which continued to increase throughout the remaining preparations before leaving for the race. By the time 6:30AM rolled around I was ready to go bow before the porcelin shrine. I felt so sick!

I gulped down 16oz of a power drink, took 3 Alive capsules, and drank 8oz of Ensure before heading out the door at 7:00AM on the dot. As I walked to Smith Park, where the race was to begin, I attempted to eat an energy bar but felt so sick that I could barley force myself to chew. I found a nearby dumpster and threw the rest of it away. I made it to Smith Park when I realized I had forgotten the timer we are suppose to wear around our left ankle that records our running time to the millisecond. I turned around and quickly made my way back to the house to grab it. I am grateful the house is only two blocks away. I made it back to Smith Park five mintues to spare.

The nausea was still strong and my anxiety continued to increase as well in the remaining minutes before the race began. I began questioning myself and wondered if I could really do it - if I could really cross the finish line after running 13.14 miles. But I didn't let those thoughts linger in my head, but instead turned my thoughts onto more motivating and positive thoughts as well as to prayer.


"GO" was finally yelled at 7:30AM and the mass of people I was surrounded by all began running. Being in the middle of this crowd sent a shot of excitement through my body. I was actually apart of a marathon. I was actually running. I had waited for that moment for so long and it was finally here. There was no turning back. There was no giving up. I was going to take every step it took to cross that finish line.

The route that was set apart for the half marathon was the first long bike route that I went on a year ago and has continued to be the most common route I ride, except it was backwards. I was grateful to be very familiar with this route. I knew exactly what was ahead and what to expect. This helped me greatly as I ran.

The nausea finally wore off after mile marker 2, but it wasn't very long after that when I got a side ache. I ran the first 4.5 miles without stopping, which took me through some residential streets and passed a graveyard. The terrain was up and down for these first 4.5 miles. I began walking shortly after beginning my ascent up a hill that went on for about 3 miles. I downed my first GU packet then. Shortly after I began walking a girl came up from behind and began walking with me. We enjoyed each other's company for a while until we were ready to start running again. We ran together for a little ways before we starting playing leap frog with each other.

I hit mile marker 6 at 8:27AM - just minutes before an hour from the start of the race. I was making pretty good time and on schedule to finish the race in around 2 hours.

Every few miles stations were set up with volunteers handing out cups of water, GU packets, oranges, and bananas. When I came to mile marker 7 and saw they were handing out bananas I rejoiced inside! I had forgotten to include a banana in my breakfast this morning; something I always eat before any physical activity I do. I grabbed two cups of water - pouring one over my head - a GU packet, and a banana. After quickly downing everything I began running again. My side ache had vanished by this point, but pain in both of my hips joints and in both of my ankles began. I continued to run.

After making it to the top and end of the 3 mile hill the course turned onto Poleline road, making a quick decent down a hill only to come back up again bringing a slight up and down terrain for the next 3 miles. This stretch of 3 miles and an additional mile after making a turn onto S 2nd E was extremely difficult for me. The pain in my hips and ankles had increased drastically and I was doing everything I could to keep running. It was painful to run, but even more painful to stop and go again. I opted (and wanted) to continue to run without stopping. I had all the endurance I needed - I wasn't winded at all - but the pain was really intense.

I passed an older woman who was speed walking. In my slower pace of running she stayed right behind me. Another lady passed the both of us and said to the lady behind me, "Your green sweatshirt has kept me going for a long time!" In response the other lady said, "This young girl ahead of me, with the number 6 on the back of her shirt, has been keeping me going." I was so grateful that even though I was running in this race by myself that everybody was in it together and helping each other. There were people along the way that helped me and gave me the encouragement I needed to keep going and not give up. I am grateful I was able to offer the same to others without even knowing it.

Passing mile maker 11 was exciting for me! Only 2.14 miles to go! There was one more down and up before the long decent down the hill leading right to the park. I allowed gravity to play its part as I began my decent down the long hill. I was in a lot of pain but going down hill and allowing my body to just go with the force of gravity I was able to pick up some speed. From the top of the hill to the bottom of the hill I was praying, "Heavenly Father please help me. Please help me. Please help me Heavenly Father. I'm almost there and you've helped me so much this race, please contine to help me. Please keep me standing......"

When I made it to the bottom of the hill there was a path of cones leading you across Main street and turned you towards the park. When I rounded the corner and saw the finish line about 25 yards ahead of me I became really emotional. My chin started to quiver and tears filled my eyes. (I still get emotional thinking about it). The pain in my hips and ankles seemed to vanish, I ran a little taller, picked up my pace a little faster, and a smile grew across my face as I ran those last 25 yards. A goal that I had been working for for so long and a cause that had kept me putting one foot in front of the other glided me over that finish line. I did it. I really did it!

After crossing the finish line there were people waiting to retreive the timer from around my ankle. I went to bend down to take it off but was quickly grabbed by two girls on either side of me telling to stand up and asked if I was ok and if I needed to sit down. It was then that I remembered that we weren't suppose to bend down and take the timer off ourselves or we'd faint after standing back up. I reassured the two girls that I was fine, as I was swaying back and forth, waiting for another girl to take the timer off my ankle. I was then handed a bottle of water and a medal to wear around my neck signifying that I had run in the Teton Dam Marathon.

Shortly after finishing Jessica and her friend, who had both run in the 5k race, found me and congratulated me on finishing. We stood and talked for a bit. I was a bit tipsy and wasn't sure if I could hold myself up. After they left I meandered over to where the food was and picked up a slice of a Subway sandwhich, chocolate milk, and a slice of Great Harvest Bread. After eating I gimped my way two blocks back to the house feeling very accomplished for having just finished my first Half Marathon.


Shortly after returning to the house after the race. This is the outfit I wore on my run. I was number 333. I am also wearing the medal I received after finishing the race.

This wasn't a surprise to find after taking off my shoes and socks. I didn't feel a lot of pain in my toes from this happening because of the pain I felt in my hips and ankles. I made out with two blisters and a couple of bloody abrasions. Not too shabby.

There is still quite a bit of pain in my hips and ankles as well as in my quad and calf muscles. It is hard for me to walk, sit down or stand up (which makes going to the bathroom a unique experience), and go up and down stairs. But there are no complaints. Every bit of the run is worth it!

My Stats:

Overall Place: 286

Assigned Start: 07:30:31.000

Actual Start: 07:30:40.400

Gender Place: 167

Stop Time: 10:10:55.800

Total Time: 02:40:24.8

Class Place: 38

Net Time: 02:40:15.4

Pace: 00:12:14.7

A poster that somebody made and placed along the route said, "Running is a MENTAL sport. You are all INSANE!" I want to thank EVERYBODY who has been a support to me in this goal, insane or not. Thank you for your encouragement, support, and prayers. I couldn't have done it without it. I felt your support, encouragement, and prayers on my run, which gave me the power to keep going. THANK YOU!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many congratulations on running and finishing that marathon run! Huge accomplishment. It is easy to talk about doing something like that, but to actually follow through and get it done! I'm impressed.

Amber said...

This brought back memories of me running the SLC marathon!! It hurt - but I'm glad I finished. I think a half marathon might be next on my list...you've inspired me. :)

Amber

Sandra said...

Rachel
very inspiring thanks for the post it makes me want to go out and compete again!