Friday, January 30, 2009

Nearing the end, but it's only the Beginning

Over the last year I have discovered a developing love I have of taking pictures. I love the challenge I give myself of trying to capture unique, beautiful, creative, and stunning pictures. After signing up for a 4-week continuing ed Digital Photography class I decided I would make this my January challenge. I am not highly knowledgeable in photography, nonetheless in digital photography. Taking a film photography class in high school is the extent of my knowledge, but I've want to learn more, even to an amateur professional level.

There have already been two digital photography class sessions and each time I realize there is SO much to learn; we have only barley skimmed the surface of the vast information there is to know, especially if I am hoping to get to a point where my photographs are worthy enough to sell. But I have already learned some key points which have opened up new doors for me to explore and try on my own.

At the end of the first day of class my instructor asked us to pick 6 photographs that we have taken and email them to him. We were going to go through the photographs that were submitted on our second day of class, but we didn't have time to even touch them. Since there is only one more day of month left and I am sure all of you are sitting on the edge of your seats wondering and waiting for my January challenge post, I thought I'd put you all at ease and show you the 6 photographs I submitted to my instructor.









I have tons and tons of pictures, but these are among my top favorites. I don't know what the opinions of others are or the critiques these would receive, but for my present skill level I find these photographs to be well captured. There has been no modifications, adjustments, or editing done to these photographs; they are in their raw image.

In addition to enhancing my photography skills, I also hope to learn and use Photoshop proficiently in order to make my pictures come alive and catch the eye where needed, but keeping it as organic as possible.

This challenge is an on-going challenge as I will continue to learn all I can over the following months and years. In other words, this will not be the last time I will blog about this challenge, but hope to some degree take you with me on this journey of learning the digital photography world.


January challenge: Work in progress


*Recently my cousin, Heidi Hydrick, has published her stunning photographs to the internet and are currently for sale. To view her photographs, click here.

1 comment:

Bill said...

These are great! I think when we take pictures our eyes are opened to see the beauty of people and things around us. The world comes alive. And isn't it rewarding to enjoy what you have captured for years to come? You're going to have so much fun! I'll look forward to seeing your future shots. :)

Love, Sheree