While sitting in the Search & Rescue building going over the logistics for the upcoming Mountain Rescue Recertification event a call of action came through to the First Commander. The report: Adult male, suicidal. Vehicle found with note posted on window. Guns in vehicle missing. The room exploded into action with orders being thrown out right and left. This would be my very first search and rescue call since joining the SAR team in January. The adrenaline was pumping.

I wish I could tell you about the adventure going out on the call and finding the victim. I'll let you know as soon as I do. As I was about to head out the door after jumping into my winter gear to prepare myself for a possible long night of searching another call came through, to stand down because the victim had been found. A bittersweet call really; good that the victim was found (hopefully alive and not dead), but disappointing that it ended before it really even began for me. It was an exciting feeling to be involved in such an effort and was a small taste of what potentially the rest of my life may hold for me in my pursuit in this career field.
UPDATE: I was able to get a few details about the above call that I almost had the opportunity to go out on. The adult male who was missing and suicidal was located. The authorities that were searching for the man had a hard time locating him but from the sound of his ringing cell phone were able to find his body. He was located near the vicinity of his vehicle, dead with a tarp around or over his body. I have never seen a dead person/body and don't know if a suicidal victim from a gunshot would have been the best first time exposure, but on the other hand it would give me a real dose of the reality of this field of work.
1 comment:
Girl, look at you saving lives!!! Or should I say, being willing to save lives! You are awesome!
Post a Comment