Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Running for my Liberty


I had been contemplating running in the Rexburg 5K Liberty run for a couple weeks. I have found that it is easier and more motivational for me to participate in such activities when I have others doing it right along with me, but I have also realized that each time I have been involved in such activities over the past year or so I have found that there hasn't been somebody there with me, but that I have had to have my own motivational reason to participate, which is probably why I signed up for the race 2-days prior to the 4th of July. I finally made the decision to run, not because there was somebody to run with (because there wasn't), but to run for the cause of my freedoms that I enjoy in America.

I had no training behind me to run the 3.1 miles, but that distance is nothing compared to the half marathon I ran a year ago. Piece of cake, right? I must admit that I didn't have the same organ exploding feelings during my half marathon that I had running this 5K. Finishing the half marathon was a lot more exhilirating than the 5K, but that was probably because I didn't feel like all my organs were almost in complete failure. But, I am pleased with the time that I did run the 5K in; a lot faster than I had expected, especially having walked a couple times during my run.


34:05!

Despite the way our country has changed recently and the direction it is headed in, I am grateful for the liberties and freedoms that I enjoy. This country is truly a promised land.

No comments: