Several weeks ago I was asked out to go on a double date with a member of my branch and friend of mine, Nate. He graduated from BYU-Idaho in horticulture. (You will understand why that is important here in a minute). The date activity was very purculiar, yet impressively creative. Had been on two dates with Nate previous and was impressed each time with their date ideas, but this one topped them all!
Our date began with a homemade four course meal. We started off with a delicious fresh fruit salad that had an interesting twist to it, cubed cheese. I had never had cheese with my fruit salad before. Definitely new for me. Next was an array of different items including Couscous, Macaroni salad, and seasoned boiled chicken. Our third course reminded me of my mom's traditional Halloween dinner. Carrot soup. But this carrot soup had a zing to it that left a slight burning in your throat. And for another interesting twist to the meal they added a few slices of avacado in with the soup to 'cleanse the pallet.' Not being a huge fan of avacado, but not wanting to be rude or make a scene, I somehow talently downed the slimy slices without triggering my gag reflexes. Now that takes talent!
With our stomaches full we decided to hold off on course four - dessert - until after the main activity of the date. (This is where Nate's horticulture degree comes into play). For our activity we planted a garden! Nate and Destin bought garden kits that allows you to plant up to 25 different things. We had a hay day with this and enjoyed creating our own gardens!
Nate and Destin gave us the choice to plant flowers or herbs, or both! All of us planted a little of each. The flowers that I planted included: Lupine, Sweet Williams, and one other that I can't remember. For herbs I planted: Chives, Cilantro, Rosemary, and Parsley. It has been really exciting for me to take care of these little guys and watch them grow. It's so fun!
This is when the plants first started to peak through the dirt. It took just one week for them to start showing.
This was take just a few days ago; lots more growth! And there is even more since this picture was taken. They are fast little growers. It's always fun to see what changes have occurred even at an overnight rate.
Once they grow a little bit bigger and establish stronger, longer roots I will transplant them into their own little pots. With the flowers I am planning on transplanting them into an aquarium I just purchased where I will be growing/hatching my own butterflies. These flowers will create a beautiful little home for my butterflies.
I'll post an update every so often as my little green world expands! I never thought a garden would be so fun! What a great and creative idea!
Iris, Iris, and More Iris!!!
18 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment